Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Well, looks like I dodged that bullet

File this one under "Unanswered prayers are a good thing."

I never told anybody, but back in the summer, I applied for a job in the Tulsa World's Community World. The Community World is a Wednesday insert of hyperlocal news -- the kind of thing you'd find in any smaller community paper. So-and-so wins pie bake-off, so-and-so has unusual hobby, that kind of thing. Feature stories and small government reporting, basically.

I felt, if I may be so brash, that I was exceptionally qualified. I interviewed. It went well. I thought for sure I was going to get the job.

And then, I didn't. And I was majorly bummed. I thought I was going to be stuck in the same rut forever, and felt like I was missing out on bigger and better things.

And then, today, there's this: Community World ceases publishing.
All the writers were laid off without notice Yesterday morning. Had until the end of the day to clear out their desks.

And me? I still have a job.

I guess I dodged a bullet.

No comments: