Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Strangest request ever

Yesterday at the paper, an older gentlemen came in and asked me a question: "Do you have any photographs of the outside of the high school?"

I thought surely we did, but after some searching, found out I didn't. Told him I was sorry, but no. Why?

Well, he was a retired janitor from the high school, and wants a photo etching of it on his headstone.

What could I do? I told him give me a couple of hours, went out, and shot some exterior shots. I printed one out I thought he'd like. He seemed pretty pleased with it.

Talk about pressure. When you're making a photograph that's going to go on a headstone, you want to do it right. That's permanent right there.

We get all kinds of odd requests, but this was up there. That's life in a small-town paper.

No comments: